| Bohemian Gothic Tarot |
Working with the BoGo today by Karen Mahony and Alexandr Ukolov of Magic Realist Press. This is such a sumptuous deck. Today's draw features some particularly lovely depictions, the Five of Pentacles and the Four of Swords. Looking at the combo my first reaction was along the lines of taking refuge from poverty consciousness, seeking sanctuary from institutionalized inner structures that don't support our well-being. But as I looked more deeply at the cards I realized that while that was a perfectly acceptable take on the pair it was only a surface take. A little journeying was in order...
| Five of Pentacles ~ Bohemian Gothic Tarot |
The more I look at this card the more I feel her proud refusal to see the help available which she does at the expense of her children. She has courage and strength but at what cost? Being the suit of Pentacles perhaps some of that earth energy needs to soften and shift a little. And because it's a Five I'm reminded of The Hierophant who is so often associated with institutionalized religious structures. What structures do I have in place that don't serve the unfolding of the Divine? Where do I refuse to seek help?
Interestingly I don't often get such a strong element of willful refusal when I draw this card. Normally I get more of a theme of helplessness, obvious weakness, ill-health and so forth. Not here and I think it's because of her body language, the sense of held breath in her ribcage, her strong, upright jaw, the set of her glance. I imagine on another day I might see this card quite differently but today that's what is being called forth.
| Four of Swords ~ Bohemian Gothic Tarot |
Behind the figure a great vaulted room is half-lit, the illumination similar to what might be occurring within. The figure still clasps the sword so there hasn't been a complete surrender of the obsessive thoughts but enough so that they aren't calling the shots. The sword lies between the figure's legs in a fairly suggestive way. Perhaps there is some healing going on within of the inner masculine?
I like to think the woman in the Five has finally found a place where she can allow the internalized institutional structures to fall away a little, that her children--those unpolished, immature parts of ourselves--have been integrated into a self that knows something of surrender, that is now being nourished in the dream realm, immersed in the multi-faceted prism of the sub-conscious so as to bring more light to it upon awakening. And here I feel as the theme of this combo one of my favorite esoteric teachings of Jesus, "suffer the little children to come unto me". It's such a brilliantly pithy example of shadow work. Another word for suffer is to allow, allow all the unpolished parts of myself, the young, undeveloped, hidden-in-the corners, stubborn, unspeaking parts of myself to come forwards, to be embraced in the Heart, illuminated by the Light. Allowing is as simple as becoming aware of all the times I ignore these parts out of pride or will or fear. Becoming aware is sanctuary, refuge from the shadow of neglect. Emily Dickinson names the numinous quality of this process so beautifully...
There's a certain slant of light,
On winter afternoons,
That oppresses, like the weight
Of cathedral tunes.
Heavenly hurt it gives us;
We can find no scar,
But internal difference
Where the meanings are.
None may teach it anything,
'Tis the seal, despair,-
An imperial affliction
Sent us of the air.
When it comes, the landscape listens,
Shadows hold their breath;
When it goes, 't is like the distance
On the look of death.
~ Emily Dickinson ~
When I had the BoGo, the strong stature and set jaw of the woman in the Five of Pentacles always impressed me. Even in the face of suffering, she is not willing to sacrifice herself or children to the vampires for food and a warm place to rest. She knows they will become food! It reminds me of people stranded in the ocean who become so thirsty they drink ocean water, though it will kill them through dehydration. Glad she kept walking until she found a true place of refuge!
ReplyDeleteIt's fascinating to experience how different depictions of the same card can draw out quite different facets of its meaning.
DeleteOr perhaps protecting the inner feminine??
ReplyDeleteAnd what beautiful interpretation of this saying of Jesus!
Thanks, Ellen and yes, protecting the inner feminine works beautifully here, too.
Delete