| World Spirit Tarot ~ Lauren Onça O'Leary |
"What you seek is seeking you."
This oft-quoted line of Rumi's filtered through my awareness as I contemplated this morning's draw. So often when truth becomes trope the tendency is to gradually stop hearing it. And that is the case with this line. I came upon Rumi's poetry 25 years ago and immersed myself in its dazzle and passion. Now Mevlana is everywhere. It's wonderful that his message of universality, of Love's effacing power, and the dance with the Beloved is so prevalent. And it also means that for me the dazzle has dimmed considerably.
| Vagabond Heart |
But writing about something often breathes new life into it so....What exactly, or if not exactly then thematically am I seeking? Honestly at this point in my life the question feels...so innocent. But the cards offer me a way in. Clearly there is the desire to refind the lineage of simple joy, an embodiment of the teachings of wonder, fresh-eyes, warmth. The most compelling figure in this trio of cards is the beautiful white horse that the Seeker of Cups rides. It echoes the archetypal energies of the unicorn in the Sun card.
I love the way the horse is so attuned to its rider as to be focused on the Cup the Seeker is looking at with equal intensity. The curve of its neck, its solidly planted legs, partially in and partially out of the stream, as if to say I can help you navigate earth and water, the body and the heart. And the openness of the Seeker's throat chakra, so wide, so spacious, so receptive. And the rolling hills, flowing water and sky-swirled heavens mirroring the wild ride of the heart. They are utterly immersed here, both rider and horse.
It's true that the more I go along in life the more my own horse feels so important, that which carries me...body, intention, momentum. All of these things feel integral to the journey, in fact they are the journey at this point, as well as arrival. More and more it feels like I am it.
| Shine! |
The Sun, here, is so raw, so full, so viscerally alive with life and light. Again it's the creature who draws my eye, the beautifully strong unicorn whose head is bowed in service to the light, to its rider, to the moment. The sunflowers open as they pass, and the sun itself one giant sunflower in bloom.
It's a lovely thought to imagine this is seeking me. And it gives a slightly different spin on things to phrase it this way, less that I'm trying to move away from shadow/negativity/despair and more that light is searching me out. Like two lovers moving closer and closer to each other to finally collide into each others' arms.
And finally we have The Hierophant, holder of tradition, lineage, interpreter of the Oracle, confidante of the High Priestess. While she is the Mystery, he is the Teachings. He fosters the spiritual growth of his community much the way The Emperor looks to the secular lives of his subjects.
The Hierophant is much maligned, IMO, and I've always had and continue to have a good relationship with him. I like that he is seeking me out, through of the energies of Brilliance, Joy and the Vagabond Heart. These are all wonderful qualities to see one along the path. Here he is portrayed as an Aztec priest. His finger pointing to the sky, and flaming torch bring to mind Moses, that great desert dervish. His supplicants kneel, not so much to him, as to the earth he stands on, the ground of being that we all share. An opportunity to place one's forehead on the Mother is a sacred one. The dervishes do this before any whirling they do as reminder of the ground of being, that which supports us, that which we all share. The Earth is humility Herself and when I place my own forehead on the ground I do so with the sense of receiving teachings from a great Wisdom-Holder. She is seeking me, she is seeking me...
| Interpreter of the Oracle |
This is such a poetic post, doing honour to Rumi as inspiration :) I have sometimes had trouble with the Hierophant, but I love what you say about him being the Teachings to the High Priestess' Mysteries, that is the part of him I can most easily accept. And the idea that the accolytes bow not to him, but to the common ground upon which we all walk - that's a little mind-blowing for me! Will have to process that, I love it :D
ReplyDeleteThank you, Chloe. Yes, the Hierophant is a difficult card for so many folks. I did a youtube video on him recently talking about my own experiences with him. He really is integral to the spiritual experience but perhaps not in ways that we imagine.
DeleteLovely, have now subscribed to you on YT :D
DeleteAnd I, you, :)
DeleteBeautiful Rose. I almost forgot to breath while reading your post
ReplyDelete""Clearly there is the desire to refind the lineage of simple joy, an embodiment of the teachings of wonder, fresh-eyes, warmth." When i feel this desire I return to gratitude which is seeing the world with new eyes and recognizing the Her Gifts, abundantly given
Thanks, Ellen. Gratitude, interest, delight...such seemingly simple gifts aren't they ;)
DeleteWhat a great title - one to which I can relate. To see or hear with new eyes or ears is indeed a gift. Tarot seems a wonderful tool for that!
ReplyDeleteYes, and your comments remind of the famous Shaker song, T'is a Gift to be Simple...which I imagine I shall now be humming all day lol.
DeleteHmmmmm....thanks for this post. I have been immersed in reflection of late, and am still sitting with my golden horse dream from a few weeks back. He keeps coming back to my awareness in one way or another, and here he is again in your post, and in the Seeker of Cups, and in the Sun. I love that the dervishes place their foreheads on the earth prior to entering into their movement. She is a great wisdom-holder indeed <3 Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI think those dream animals that come ask of us patience to sit with them, as you're doing with your wonderful golden horse. Not to rush, not to be quick to explain or understand their message but rather to offer them our presence. The visitation is just the beginning, isn't it. xo
Delete