Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Pele : Trusting Your Core

Dark Goddess Tarot ~ Ellen Lorenzi-Prince

Yesterday I drew the Ten of Fire, Thyone, Greek Goddess of Divine Frenzy and today more Fire for us. Pele is the Dark Goddess wanting a voice. Hawaiian Goddess of the Volcano she is Amazon of Fire in this deck.

We lived in Hawaii for awhile on the island of Maui. We spent some time on the Big Island and it was there that I was introduced to Pele's presence in a visceral way while at Mauna Kea. Apart from watching the lava flowing into the ocean and having to be mindful of the effects of her potent gases on the lungs I also met her through the soles of my feet. Walking over her in the form of a'a and pahoehoe, the two different types of hardened lava that form much of the surface land in that area.

Pahoehoe Lava ~ image by Leigh Hilbert
I had the experience of the earth itself being in continual motion from the inside out. That though the surface felt static it was in fact constantly dancing, spiraling, twisting, turning, rolling, folding in on itself and unfolding. It was seeing the lava, pahoehoe in particular, that did it, seeing how it cooled and then hardened even as it flowed.




Looking at this card reminds me of this experience, reminds me that like Pele, I too, have an inner core that is constantly in motion. And that there are times it's necessary, vital even to respond from that place of simmer and bubble. It also encourages me to know that, like my meeting of that new landscape on Mauna Kea for the first time, I, too have new and undiscovered territory within, ancient, sacred, wild. It is land to trust, a fire to grow into, to make pilgrimage to breath by breath, sensation by sensation.

As I write this the rain is coming down buckets. Quite a contrast to the elemental energy of this card. But the elements call to all the different wildernesses of our being. The rain says flow, yield, find your level, just as Pele says rise, don't hold back, want what you want with your whole body. See what flame she leads you to be.

8 comments:

  1. "Rise, don't hold back." What a great message on so many levels. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful expression, Rose, and very visceral. That photo is incredible. The lava looks like strands of hair....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia. That lava was an incredible teacher for me. Her lessons lodged themselves in my body and remain there. And funny you mention the hair because that's what I thought when I first saw the DG card, Pele's hair as lava.

      Delete
  3. I can only imagine what seeing that lava would be like. One day....

    (also, SORRY, I'm commenting on ALL of your social media outlets today....oops)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day, indeed, for your travel-loving self. And no apologies necessary, I'm feelin' the love. xo

      Delete
  4. I love your description of the lava, both literal and metaphorical. And how there is movement under the surface, simmering and bubbling, even when things look static. Sounds a bit like the Hanged Man in that regard. Yet, I can also see how the Amazon of Fire might sometimes seem placid on the outside, before she erupts into action again :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chloe. Interesting Hanged Man correlation, you're right there is a kind of 'static movement' to both cards.

      Delete