Sunday, May 15, 2016

Beauty as Magic, as Refuge


Shadowscapes Tarot ~ Stephanie Pui-Mun Law

Tired after a sleep-short night. Eager to see what the cards had to say. Second day in a row with two Majors. Second consecutive day that Death shows up. My experience with this card is that it comes in waves. Today it's in the same position with another masculine Major following it. Pulled a foundation card from the bottom of the deck for a little more clarity.

Death • The Magician • Ace of Pentacles

The Magician ~ Shadowscapes Tarot
This Magician has a shamanic quality to him with his wings and dragon crown, his tattoos and mask. He is master of all the elements. They hang at the edge of his wings in the form of a shining crystal, shells, raven feathers, and a leafing branch.

He so feels very magical to me, in active and visceral relationship with the elemental energies. I don't always get that feeling from other Magician cards. The lovely jonquils and roses, the gorgeously shaped rock supporting him with its curves and stories, the mudras of the birds and gradations of sky. Even the lemniscate above his head, which I like to think of as the fifth element, ether, glows with subtle grace, not calling attention but simply affirming his relationship with Spirit

Here Beauty is pronounced. Here it feels that Beauty is also a form of Magic. Has its place amidst other skills this Magician might call upon. And when I consider Beauty's role and place in my own life I feel its power, its alchemical ability to transform my state. Sometimes it's all that gets me through the day.


Shadowscapes Tarot ~ Stephanie Pui-Mun Law
'Power forces surrender, Beauty inspires it', said a great Sufi Saint. That has been my experience. The heart naturally, joyfully softens and opens when kneeling at Beauty's altar. And the 'beautiful' thing about this is how personal it is. As though Spirit recognizes just what will be the healing agent for each of us.

Today seeing these three cards I feel I'm being encouraged to continue to trust the deep process of transformation that I'm in, trust the greening abundance beneath me. With extra emphasis on Beauty as refuge.

5 comments:

  1. I think that this deck a perfect agent for discovering beauty. The artwork is stunning and is draws you in to tits magical realms . I hope you can find some peace and quite today and enjoy the beauty life's offering you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have fallen in love with this deck all over again. Thank you for your good wishes, Ellen.

      Delete
  2. These three cards make me think of starting from scratch using resources in innovative ways. Pouring you a cup of coffee my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the coffee, Bev. Much appreciated :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete