| Halloween Oracle |
I drew from the Halloween Oracle this morning with the intention of drawing only one card but I pulled two stuck together and went with this pair with its suggestion of holding light aloft in the darkness. The Buddha speaks directly to this in his farewell speech to his disciples wherein he encourages them to "Be a lamp unto yourself. Work out your own salvation with diligence..." There are many translations of this famous teaching but I like this one for its pith.
| Skull of Darkness ~ Blindspots ~ Halloween Oracle |
We may not wish to delve there
The shadows, the darkness,
the unknown.
Yet when we search we reveal
And our power thus has grown.
This season with its themes of shadow work and liminal realms is reflected naturally here. Says the LWB, "The beautiful and mysterious skull of darkness encourages us to look to the parts of ourselves that normally remain hidden or as unseen as possible." I love the description of the skull, the sacred container for the work, as being beautiful and mysterious and that it encourages us rather than forces. There is much to be learned from this gentle approach with its intimations of secrets gleaned.
Blind spots are literally that, mind states we continue with because we cannot see the conditioning behind them. The pattern is the symptom, the red flag that tells us blind spots are arising. This is where friends and wise counsel are so helpful. And it's also where the soft animal of the body can act as our familiar, a subtle guide. Am I holding my breath, is my jaw clenched, what are my hands doing? How soft is my hara? And my feet, are they in communication with the sacred drum of the earth? All these are lights that point away from the sleep of ignorance towards the birth of self-awareness. Like the candle on the crown center of the skull I'm reminded that these brief moments of illuminated consciousness, no matter how fleeting, are sacred.
| Nightsong ~ Hidden Talents ~ Halloween Oracle |
'Should this beautiful but shy bird sing to you by appearing during your divination, know that you must unwrap the present of yourself.' This tells us much about the journey. The song needs coaxing and encouraging through the dark corridors of constriction towards the luminous gift of the self which awaits our receiving, our unwrapping, unveiling...'like an unbodied joy whose race is just begun' says Shelley in his beautiful Ode to a Skylark.
This pair feel like gentle guides on a day when that is needed. The possibility that blind spots are brought to light on the lyrical wings of our listening.
Beautiful and for me a very timely post Rose. Maybe it would be a good thing to check in with ourselves a few times a day so we can be more aware of what is going on with ourselves. I do have a tendency to keep busy, probable to run from the shadows
ReplyDeleteThanks, Ellen. The busier I am the more I need to stop and pause and like anything worthwhile it's a practice, something to return to again and again. And again lol.
DeleteThat phrase on the Cardinal card (hidden talents) reminds me that sometimes our shadow (in Jung's view) holds positive, unique aspects of ourselves, not just the negative ones. There is the potential for dormant gifts and creative talents to be lying there unclaimed.
ReplyDeleteIn the shadow lies the prima materia without which the magnum opus of awakening would not be possible. Gems indeed!
DeleteYes, we are just as likely to bury our light so as not to shine too bright as we are to bury our dark sides. We are a strange lot! I really like the Nightsong/Cardinal card. It is beautiful. I would prefer it to a Robin on a Christmas card. BB
ReplyDeleteHe's a lovely, vibrant little messenger isn't he, that Cardinal!
Delete