| Wild Unknown Tarot ~ Alchemist's Oracle |
I'll just say straight out here that I don't love it when two Majors show up in my daily draw. I often experience a little bit of an inward clench. I feel I'm being called before The Board to explain myself, to be accountable in a way that doesn't allow much wiggle room, to really be clear with myself. Today's draw is no exception. Not that these Majors are particularly dense just that the Majors, in general, carry an archetypal weight to them, the stuff of myth, dreams and the unconscious, that I experience as...laden with responsibility. And I rarely feel I do them justice when writing about them.
| Transition ~ Alchemist's Oracle |
Threshold is such a powerful place to claim though the tendency is to want something more substantive to inhabit. The reality is that each moment is a threshold, a transition. I forget that all.the.time. thinking this moment is fixed, solid, an arrival. It's not, it's an ongoing moment in a larger series of arrival-departures. Today I don't love this. Tomorrow I might embrace it. This afternoon perhaps I'll entertain it. But right now, it's not working for me and perhaps more importantly I'm not working for it.
| The Chariot ~ Wild Unknown Tarot |
The energy the horse is embodying is fast and strong. She seems like she's just pausing long enough to give us her message, blessed by the protective pentacle around her neck, which in turn blesses us. But the pentacle also tells me she's in service to something larger and less apparent. She exhibits the full sun of control here and yet the crescent moon on her forehead suggests a knowledge of when to yield, when receptivity is required. This dance is an integral aspect of this card.
This card is a Seven and the last card in the first group of seven Majors suggesting that the lessons to be developed and lived out in the next groupings are still in the initial stage here. As such the ability to handle the reins skillfully is still being worked with. The contrast between the dynamic movement and determination of The Chariot compared to the stasis of the Oracle card is pronounced but I sense that perhaps I'm being asked to use my will to bring to bear on the ongoing transition that is life, to the places where I might want to pause longer than serves my unfolding.
| Wheel of Fortune ~ Wild Unknown Tarot |
The waxing crescent moon, known as the Moon of Regeneration, is the moon of the Maiden. It's associated with beginnings, with change and with invocation. It's a logical moon to have on this card that honors the teachings of mutability. An owl, avian embodiment of wisdom, of mystery, night power and silence, perches on a top branch and peers at us quizzically. Brilliant points of light illuminate the dark night sky. All of these images together make for a compelling depiction of a card that signifies cycles of adjustment and manifestation, of an understanding of form and emptiness, and the knowledge that 'at the still point of the turning world there the dance is,' to quote Eliot.
![]() |
| Kalachakra Mandala |
I have the sense of being inseparably bound up with the changing tides that characterize life, that are, in fact, the essence of life with the idea that The Wheel of Fortune does not exist outside of me to the degree that I can yield to the flow. Trying to avoid that stream and suddenly I'm the obstacle. I'm still trying this one on for size but today that feels about right.
Looked at in combination with the other two cards and I feel the tension of holding the impulse to move forwards with the impulse to resist that movement. The Chariot asks me to step in, to take the reins, to feel the directional pull of all that horse energy beneath me and respond accordingly even while I'm experiencing the disorienting effects of transition. The Wheel of Fortune reminds me that this too shall pass, that now is the time to rely on silence and navigating by night power, and focusing on the inner tides and rhythms beneath which breathes the luminous Other.

It's a cicada:
ReplyDeletehttp://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/bugs/cicada/
They live underground anywhere from one to seventeen years, then emerge and transform into insects. They appear here in early summer; they "sing" constantly to find a mate. The sound is loud - an ocean wave of buzz. I have grown up with it all my life, so to me it is almost hypnotizing rather than annoying. :) They live as adults a very short time. They are one of my favorite bugs. :D
Thank you, my earthy friend! I grew up with them, too, but rarely saw them. As I read your description I had a visceral memory of searingly hot summer days accompanied by the whine/drone/buzz of these creatures. They went hand in hand with childhood summers. As did the huge June bugs that were less liked for getting tangled up in your hair!
DeleteThe insect on the Transition card is not a dragonfly (different wings, dragonflies never hold their wings wrapped like that.)
ReplyDeleteOh wait, it looks more like a cicada...Cyclochila virens maybe? No, the head's not dark enough. Tibicen canicularis it might be (Dogday Cicada) or maybe..I don't know. a cicada for sure though.
A cicada ties in nicely with Transition because they live underground for most of their lives and then tunnel out and emerge.
Thanks,woley. Bev's comment above confirms a cicada, too. Bugs are not my forte though when you described a dragonfly never holding their wings wrapped that way that was a 'duh' moment for me. I grew up seeing them skimming over the lakes and rivers and ponds and their bodies don't seem built in such a way that would allow wing folding. Thanks for your entomological edification!
DeleteI always think of the dream catcher whenever I see the Wheel in the WU too, it is a beautiful card. I adore your Tibetan mandala, that is exquisite. BB
ReplyDeleteThe Tibetans have such a way with mandalas. That some of them are made out of sand is even more astonishing!
Delete